Voting Information for
College Students

1.  What if I’m going to college and want to vote using my home address?


If you are a registered Wisconsin voter, go to

and click on “Vote Absentee.”  Follow the prompts and enter your college mailing address. You will be sent a ballot with a return envelope, postage paid.


You must request this before 5 days prior to the election and return it before Election Day.  We recommend making the request well in advance.


2.  What if I want to vote using my school address?


You need to have lived at your current address for 28 days before Election Day to register and vote in that election district or ward.


First, make sure you’re registered to vote at the right place.


A.  REGISTRATION: To see if/where you are registered, go to


If you need to register there are 4 ways:


  • Online: at up to 20 days before Election Day; requires current/valid WI Driver’s License or WI photo ID card

Note: Have you changed your address since the last time you voted? You will need to change your address with the DMV before you can register to vote or update your registration. This can be done online here




For more detailed information about student residency, click here



B.  VOTING: On Election Day you will need an acceptable photo ID:



2.  Information on Wisconsin Student ID as Photo ID for Voting, click here